September 09, 2013
Ignite is calling for applications!
Submission closing date: Thursday September 26th 2013
A new and innovative approach to commissioning and touring work by artists with disabilities.
Ignite is the new initiative to facilitate the creation of ambitious new work by professional artists with disabilities. It is managed by a unique partnership involving the Arts Council, Arts and Disability Ireland (ADI), Cork City Council, Galway City and County Councils, and Mayo County Council.
Ignite will support three collaborative commissions in Cork, Galway and Mayo celebrating arts and disability, led by internationally recognised artists with disabilities.
The objectives of Ignite are to support:
-National and international collaboration between artists with disabilities
-The making of new ambitious work by artists with disabilities
-The presentation and marketing of commissioned work at local venues and festivals
-Access to a more diverse range of work for more diverse local audiences
Orlaith McBride, Director of the Arts Council, said
“Ignite represents a major investment by the Arts Council in the area of Arts and Disability. It has involved five years of steady development work at local level with our partners in each of the local authorities and Arts & Disability Ireland. This has culminated in a unique new creative alliance between the Arts Council, ADI, Cork City Council, Galway City & County Councils and Mayo County Council, to commission ambitious and challenging new work from artists with disabilities. We expect this to raise the bar on work being produced and presented by local venues and festivals and provide the opportunity for both new and existing audiences to experience some of the best arts and disability work being created internationally today.”
Details on the application process are available on the Arts & Disability Ireland website www.adiarts.ie/news/ignite. The closing date for submissions is Thursday, September 26th 2013. There are three commissions in total, each to the maximum value of €60,000.
In each local authority area, Cork, Galway and Mayo, Ignite will award three commissions by the end of 2013. Following that, in 2014, each new work will be presented at local level and the initiative will conclude with a tour of one of those new commissions to all three counties (and beyond) in Spring 2015.
Ignite was established at the end of 2012. It grew out of an innovative capacity building model in the area of Arts and Disability, initiated by the Arts Council / an Chomhairle Ealaíon in 2008, entitled Arts and Disability Networking (ADN).
For a list of internationally recognised artists with disabilities and arts and disability organistations please click here
- 35th Annual Éigse Award of €4000
- Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year 2014
- Free creative workshop week with Cork Ignite
- Upstart 2014
- 2014 VSA Playwright Discovery Competition
- The Jim McNaughton/TileStyle €10,000 Artist’s Bursary
- Preserve & Protect: Challenge & Innovate
- Call for Proposals from Performing Arts Practitioners: Arts and Disability Public Art Commission
- Music Matters seek Volunteers
- Have a small gathering, Mar 25th - Apr 12th to celebrate your arts and disability group
- International Arts & Disability group gathering in Wexford
- Curtain up for new recruits to join Blue Teapot Performing Arts School
- Mayo County Council Arts Office invites project proposals for UPSTART 2013
- Pathways to Practice Symposium
- Let it Roll Exhibition, Custom House Studios, Westport
- SEEDERS Exhibition with sculptures by Corina Duyn and tapestries by Pascale De Coninck
- Croi Glan New Double Bill Tour: An Outside Understanding and Gawky & Awkward
- AbleVision Ireland Film Festival
- Music Matters @ LIFT!
- Oska Bright Film Festival open for entries
- Looking for Accessible Performances? We have just the ticket! Audio Described and Captioned performances: September – December 2010
- Funding Alert! Irish Film Board - Virtual Cinema Bursary
- Arts Council Study Reveals Poor Living and Working Conditions of Artists, with 1 in 7 identifying as an artist with a disability